Daren J. Penry, D.C.
When I was age 13 I started developing sensations like someone was throwing cold water on the back of my legs when I would stand up straight. I also would get hot poker pains in my abdomen that would startle me and keep me on edge.
Alarmed by these problems, I went to the doctor. He thought I might have an infection so he prescribed antibiotics. The sensations continued. To make matters worse I started having frequent colds and congestion that would keep me home from school every few weeks. I also developed depression as I had this feeling that I was not in control of my body and my health.
These symptoms persisted for the next 4 years. During that time I was prescribed Physical Therapy with ultrasound, stretching, exercises and heat therapies. I was referred to a neurologist who thought that I might have the early signs of Multiple Schlerosis, it just wasn’t visible on x-ray yet(talk about how to depress you). The last straw was when I was referred by my doctor again this time to a counselor, because he thought it might be all in my head.
That’s when my mother stepped in and said I wonder if you might benefit from a Chiropractor? I said, a Chiro- what? I did not know what a Chiropractor did. But I was willing to try anything that might help.
So at age 17 I went to see a Chiropractor who worked right down the street.
The doctor talked with me and did an exam and thought something suspicious was happening in my lower back so she took an x-ray.
She came back in the room and said, “I can see why you would be having some problems with your health”. She was the first doctor in 4 years who spoke with any certainty about why I was having health problems, I was SO RELIEVED!
She said that an incident where I was hit by a car in Kindergarten at age 6 was the likely cause that had thrown out my lower vertebrae, and then at age 13 when I went through my growth spurt it started causing problems.
She recommended adjustments to fix the misalignment of the spine and we started that day.
The first day after I got adjusted I started noticing a warm sensation in both of my legs like something good was happening. To my pleasant surprise, over the next few weeks that strange sensation in my legs and my abdomen COMPLETELY went away! I was thrilled. And that’s not all, over the next 6 months I noticed that I stopped getting sick and having to miss school, and the feeling of being out of control of my body and the depression went away. In short, I felt like a completely new person!
People ask me when I would recommend going to the chiropractor, and I say my experience is if you have an unexplainable health problem and nothing else is working try the chiropractor, OR if you want to save yourself a lot of time and suffering, you might just want to go there first!
Daren Penry DC
- 1993- Bachelor of Science, Western States Chiropractic College, Portland, Oregon
- 1992- Doctorate of Chiropractic, Western States Chiropractic College, Portland, Oregon.
- 1988- Undergraduate studies, Pierce College, Tacoma, Washington
- 1987- Undergraduate studies, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
- 1986- Undergraduate studies, Green River community college, Auburn, Washington
- 1985- High School, Bellarmine Prep school, Tacoma, Washington
- 2009 - AMC - Delivering Excellence in Chiropractic Care - Training
- 2008 - 21st Century Clinical Nutrition training-Nutrition Response Testing (NRT)
- 2005 - Wellness Practice Certification training-International Chiropractic Association
2004 - Pettibon Spinal rehab training
- 2000-2001 - Torque Release, light force instrument adjusting training
- 2000- Advanced training in dietary nutrition sources, established product distribution rights for Juice Plus from National Safety Association(NSA)
- 1995- Dr. Penry founded the Doctor Speakers Bureau, a network of health professionals committed to public education. Dr. Penry regularly lectures to local businesses and social groups on Health and Wellness topics
- 1995 - Activator Adjusting methods training
- 1993-present Private practice in Kirkland, Washington
- 1993- President of the East King county Chiropractic Association
- Dr. Penry enjoys his free time with his wife and two children. He loves music; playing the guitar and composing his own music. He also enjoys staying active doing a variety of activities including jogging, bicycling, hiking, and working out. Dr. Penry enjoys traveling; his trips have taken him to over 15 different states in America. He has also traveled abroad to Canada, Europe, and most recently to Central America.
Certifications & Licensures
- US National Board Certified; Chiropractic
- Washington State Chiropractic License
- Community CPR, and Community first aid and Safety.
Associations & Memberships
- Washington State Chiropractic Association
- "Stay fit while you sit", an ergonomics must for desk workers
- "Pressure point therapy", learn to find and remove hidden stress in the body.
- "Safety advances for Today's Workforce", an effective and interesting work safety program.
- "Create Better Health Through Movement and Meditation"